This is a post that describes application process to re-issue a driving licence in India. The reason for a re-issue can be a damaged licence. At times, issued licence can get damaged i.e. the photograph or content fades over a period of time. This may also be required if the licence smart card gets broken. The above scenarios do not fall under a lost driving licence and hence have a separate application process.
The process is relatively simple and standardized. Following is the document list:
- Form L.L.D – Filled. Download forms from this link.
- Form 1 – Filled with attached photograph. This is for private vehicles.
- Form 1 & Form 1 A – Filled with attached photograph, if it’s a commercial vehicle.
- Address Proof (Copy) : Passport , LIC , Voter Card.
- Age Proof (Copy) : Class X certificate , Birth Certificate.
- Carry all originals.
- They didn’t ask for attested copies; but you can carry it or get it attested at R.T.O itself.
Following steps list the process to be followed after your application is complete. This is with respect to Janakpuri R.T.O. The process should be same for other R.TO.; only the room numbers might differ. Note: You must visit the R.T.O from where you got your licence issued.
- Submit Documents : Room No. 11 A. The application is verified here.
- DL Record verification : The DL is verified as per record. Room No. 17.
- Fees : Submit fees at room no. 11. For e-payment , visit counter no. 15 in room no. 17.
- Data Verification : The data entered in application is loaded and verified. Counter no. 1 , Room No. 17.
- Bio-metric Registration : Counter No. 2 , Room No. 17
- Receive the receipt. This receipt can be used as a temporary licence.
- You should receive the DL by post within 14 days at the specified residence address.
- Note: Reach around 8 AM to avoid rush. The offices open at 08:30 AM. If you reach before time, you could be done with the process by 09:30 AM.
- There is an online appointment system as well but I am not aware of the process as I applied via manual application. You can visit http://www.dimts.in/ for more details.