This is our first post on “Buying Guide” and we’ll focus to the point without doing any build up about the product. Here we go.
Needless to say that Microwave Oven is a necessity for every kitchen. Here we are describing some basics for short listing a microwave oven for your home.
Following considerations should be made for purchasing a microwave:
1. Type of Usage
|Heating||Is your microwave used primary to heat cooked food?|
|Convection||Are you baking stuff frequently?|
|Grill||Grilling meat or other items?|
2. Frequency of Usage: For the Point#1 explained above, just assign a no. which indicates the frequency of usage of each scenario. Eg. Heating: 25/day, Convection: 1/day, Grill: 1/day.
3. The above two steps will help you filter out products at a first level i.e. Heating/Convection/Grill. Though I would like to highlight that the cost difference between these will not be much. Eg. A microwave for heating costs around Rs. 8000, Heating + Convection costs around Rs.10000 and Heat + Convection + Grill will be around Rs. 12000.
4. Next step you want to look for is the cavity inside. This is an endless discussion but my experience with stainless steel has been much better than the painted cavity. There is no such heating issue (hand burning) with stainless steel as well.
5. Decide capacity of microwave that you’re looking for.
6. Now decide on some less critical but important factors like:
- User panel i.e. Touch or Button panel.
- Ease of use.
- Power Consumption. Check the wattage and calculate as per your usage. More details on power conservation here.
7. Company: Consider the following factors here:
- Reputation: Since all companies are producing almost all products; a study on which one good in home appliances production should be done.
- After Sales Service: This is a big consideration in buying any electronic and another topic of endless discussion. I have been content with LG service in Delhi. However, microwave repair work can be easily done in local market as well.
8. Extended Warranty: These options are very cheap for microwave. I opted for a 4 year LG AMC contract for Rs. 2000 only.